Friday, March 4, 2011

Lucky To Have Them In My Life

I have always been a rabbit and dog person all my life, and has always have a mild case of Ailurophobia, a phobia of cats. I was just scared of getting bitten and scratched by a cat for as long as I can remember. I always kept my distance whenever a cat got near me. So it never crossed my mind that I would be having a cat for a pet, let alone two of them! 

I got close with a futsal team mate and we became best buds, so I've been spending a lot of time at her place. She's a cat lover, so I had to tolerate her cats. I don't remember petting the cats though I've been going to her place for almost a year, until this one time when one of her cats gave birth to 5 kittens. These 5 kittens got their unbilical cords entwined after birth, probably because their mother did not have enough time to sever the cords and we only found them the day after and it was around 10 at night. We called up a vet and was adviced to bring the kittens to the clinic the next day. We knew time was a really important factor to try and save them, but my bestfriend just couldn't bear the sounds of the kittens screaming in pain when we tried to detangled them. So that was when I had to do what I had to do, cut the unbilical cord from one of them. I couldn't free the others as they were badly entangled to each other, with one had its circulation cut off from one of the legs, it had turned black. The lady vet managed to free them from each other with a few snips the next day, but unfortunately, they only survived for a few days, leaving the one as the only survivor. And that was the turning point in my life, I became a cat lover, too. 


One fine day in February, I accompanied my cousin to the SPCA's temporary cat shelter as she wanted to adopt a cat. I only wanted to look at them but instead fell in love with a kitten and an adult cat. I couldn't decide on which to take home, found out that I could actually adopt them both, so I did! As of 8th February 2011, I became the happy owner of Silver and Duvo (Gedik). Silver is a quiet but playful cat, while Duvo is very affectionate, craving for attention whenever he's not playing with Silver. Though they would come close to me, they doesn't like to invade my space and vice versa beside the occasional request for pettings, until a recent occurance when I was really having a bad day.  


I kept hearing and reading stories about how a pet could attune to their owner's mood. I have always been amazed with these stories, but never thought that it could happen to me. As I said, it was really a bad day, and suddenly Duvo jumped up onto my lap as I sat on my bed sobbing away, started to make a massage-like movements with her paws on my arm while watching my face intently and making small meows. Even Silver who has always like to have her space, jumped on my bed and watched me cry. They have never climb on my bed before, has always been on their best behaviours. The moment I started feeling better, Duvo and Silver scattered from the bed and started playing with each other as if nothing peculiar happened. I have always been thankful for the day I decided to adopt them, but that just a proof that I am indeed very lucky to have them in my care. My silent, loyal companions in my time of need, helping me getting through a bad day and gave me hope that all will be well again. 


I never have to come home to an empty house anymore, as they will always be at the door waiting for me. They amuses me with their cute and funny antics each day, making me hold them even more dearly in my heart. Because of them, I am now fostering a few cats for SPCA KK, hoping that someday these cats will warm someone else's heart & home with their presence when they get adopted. That's the story of someone who was wary of cats in all of her 31 years of life, turned cats lover. This could be you too, if you let your heart be touched by them, or maybe it could be a dog for you. Give these animals a chance. 

~ A pet story from Melle ~

No comments:

Post a Comment